|SAMPLE GRANT APPLICATION|
(Note this application differs slightly from the current one.)
1. Date of Application: April 28, 2008
2. Name of Contact Person: Dawn Star Borchelt, CRE
3. Mailing Address, E-mail address and telephone number of contact person: XXX
4. Name of Church, acting as a sponsoring congregation: Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church
5. Amount of funds requested from USSS: $1120
6. How I heard about funds available from USSS: website/flyer
DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
7. Outline of type of project: In 2000, I led a summer Religious Education program at the Fairfax UU Congregation using Keepers of the Earth: Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for Children by Michael J. Caduto and Joseph Bruchac. This book is in print and modestly priced: http://www.amazon.com/Keepers-Earth-American-Environmental-Activities/dp/1555913857/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209405703&sr=8-1 and is available in many public library systems around the country. I created lesson plans based on what I did and self-published A Supplement for use with Keepers of the Earth: Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for Children in Unitarian Universalist Religious Education Programs in 2001. Over the past 7 years, I have sold this Supplement to many UU congregations and religious educators (happy customers!) I am applying for a grant to cover my costs to review, adapt, and re-publish this Supplement as a free, on-line resource for UU congregations and other interested parties.
8. Goals and Philosophy: Goals - to revise the Supplement to reflect recently published resources and anti-oppression materials, adapt it for web-based distribution, and make it available to the widest possible audience. Philosophy - this resource has been useful to many and was created with a principle based, multi-sensory approach and an anti-oppressive lens, but after 7 years, it could use some updating! The days of print curricula are swiftly passing! Curricula which are accessible on-line for teachers, professional religious educators, and families allow the greatest flexibility of use and broadest outreach.
9. Need the project is designed to fill: This project will meet the need of religious educators to be able to quickly access an anti-oppressive, seventh principle focused, multi-sensory curriculum for multi-age use, and distribute it easily to teachers and families as needed.
10. Age levels or specific groups the project will serve: The Supplement is for use with ages 3 - 12 in a multi-age classroom setting.
11. Sample Lesson Plans, Chapter Titles, Pages, etc.: See attachments.
12. Time line for project development with anticipated completion date:
Revisions and adaptations: August - September, 2008
Posting on DMUUC website: September - October, 2008
Publicity via REACH-L, LREDA-L, REC-ROOM, etc.: October 2008 and continuing
13. Description of final project: Microsoft Office Word and PDF downloadable files divided into full sections of the Supplement, updated and revised, plus audio files of chants used in the lesson plans, permanently hosted on the Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church website, free to anyone with internet access and a printer (if printed copy is desired).
14. Provide a description of budget items:
Revision and adaptation - Approximately 50 hours @ $20/hour: $1000
This is my estimate of how long it will take me to do the needed work.
Posting on the DMUUC website - Approximately 4 hours @ $30/hour: $ 120
This is the DMUUC Webmistress' estimate of how long it will take her to do the needed work.
Permanent hosting on the DMUUC website - Donated in-kind by the congregation: $?
Publicity on RE related listservs and websites: $?
Total out-of-pocket cost: $1120
15. Other financial resources from whom I am seeking funding and amounts requested:
If the project takes more than 50 hours of time (quite possible) I will donate the necessary time to complete the project.
Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church has agreed to host the Supplement on its website permanently. It is very difficult to place a specific dollar amount on this in-kind donation since different web-hosting services charge different amounts for different levels of service, but it is a significant contribution towards the success of this project.
I plan to donate the (admittedly minimal) time needed to publicize the publication of the website on REACH-L, LREDA-L, REC-ROOM and in other appropriate forums.