Changes a diary of modifications to the UUBF-L, or to this Guide
UUBF our parent organization
||Important List Mechanics:
What you need to know about how the list works
Reply Warning: Mailman's reply option for the list as a whole is set to "reply to list." This means even if you tell your email program "reply to sender only" your message will still go to the whole list. The only way to reply to the original sender of a list message is to copy and paste that address into the "recipient" box.
Vacation Warning: Two conditions can result in your list mail delivery being disabled putting you on "nomail". (When your delivery is set to nomail, messages are not held for you.)
- If you don't retrieve your email from your ISP, and your mailbox there fills up, your service provider will bounce messages back to the senders. This commonly happens when people vacation.
On the ninth day Mailman gets a bounce message from your provider, it will disable delivery of messages to you.
- If you set your system to automatically reply to messages with an "I'm gone" message, Mailman will query the managers what to do about it, and we will put you on nomail immediately, so your auto response doesn't create a loop that fills your mailbox and the UUBF-L's.
Please set your delivery option to nomail if you're going to use an auto response.
To get delivery back, you must turn off nomail yourself by visiting Mailman's Member Configuration page (see below), or by sending an email command.
Changing Your List Options: there are two ways you can make changes in your relationship to the UUBF-L:
- Go to the UUA Mailman site.
- On the UUBF-L Info page you can
- post message to the UUBF-L
- get to a list of subscribers
- get to the Member Configuration page: go to the bottom of this UUB-L Info page, enter your email address, and press the "Unsubscribe or Edit Options" button.
- On the Member Configuration page (accessible only from the UUB-L Info page) you can
- request a reminder of your password
- change your password
- change various other options
- get a list of all UUA email lists you belong to (and from that page you can go to the Member Configuration page for each one of them)
- Use email commands.
- These were listed in the email message titled "Welcome to the UUBF-L mailing list" which you received when you first subscribed.
- You can also get instructions for valid Mailman email commands by sending an email command. Here's how to send email commands to Mailman.
Reading old messages in the archive:
- Our list's archive is here.
- To get in, you will need the password you were given when you joined the list (or what you have changed it to).
- If you don't remember that, see "Changing your list options," above.
- When you subscribed, you were sent these instructions, along with more details about commands you can send to Mailman to accomplish other changes. This information is also available at The UUA Email List User's Guide.
- In addition there is one advanced Mailman feature available that's not mentioned there: the subscriber profile, where you can enter information about yourself to share with other members of the list. (This is accessible only to subscribers). To edit your profile or view other members' profiles, go to UUBF-L Subscriber Profile.
To Contact the List Managers: If you have a problem or question about this list or about your subscription, write to the list managers at